Tuesday, January 30, 2024

[Botany • 2024] Indigofera abbottii, I. ngwenyana, etc. (Fabaceae: Papilionoideae: Indigofereae) • New and poorly known Taxa of Indigofera from the Pondoland Centre of Endemism, South Africa: Part 2


Indigofera abbottii Schrire & K.W.Grieve,

in K. W. Grieve, G. R.H. Grieve et Schrire, 2024.

 Highlights: 
• Taxonomic description of new and little known Indigofera species from South Africa.
• Four new Indigofera species, one new variety and two little known species are described.
• One established taxon is raised to specific status and described with a new name.
• An earlier name is found which has priority over an established species name.
• All taxa are associated with the Pondoland Centre of Endemism, ranging to surrounding floristic areas.

Abstract
This second paper describes and clarifies new and poorly known Indigofera species, belonging to sect. Pinnatae (E.Mey.) Harv., from the Pondoland Centre of Endemism and associated neighbouring areas in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal provinces, South Africa. Five new species (one with two infraspecific taxa) are recognized: Indigofera abbottii Schrire and K.W.Grieve, I. hillburttii Schrire and K.W.Grieve, I. tysonii Schrire and K.W.Grieve, I. herrstreyi Schrire and K.W.Grieve var. herrstreyi and I. herrstreyi var. helodes K.W.Grieve and Schrire, and I. ngwenyana Schrire and K.W.Grieve. Descriptions are provided for the poorly known I. corniculata E.Mey. and I. gerrardiana Harv., taxa rarely taken up in the literature and both having been mostly synonymised under I. dregeana E.Mey. that occurs outside the area of the present study. The name I. tenuissima E.Mey. was found to be the earliest, correct, name for the widespread species I. longipes N.E.Br. ex Baker f., leaving the coastal Zululand taxon – currently named I. tenuissima E.Mey. – requiring further evaluation.


 
 Kate W. Grieve, Graham R.H. Grieve and Brian D. Schrire. 2024. New and poorly known Taxa of Indigofera (Fabaceae, Papilionoideae, Indigofereae) from the Pondoland Centre of Endemism, South Africa: Part 2. South African Journal of Botany. 164; 297-321. DOI: 10.1016/j.sajb.2023.11.027
 
Kew’s top 10 new species of 2023
Kew’s scientists and international partners share their 10 favourite new species named to science in 2023.