Saturday, October 3, 2026

[Botany • 2026] Impatiens zayuensis (Balsaminaceae) • A New Species from southeastern Xizang, China

 

 Impatiens zayuensis  S.Peng, G.W.Hu & Q.F.Wang, 

in Yuan, T. Hu, Zhang, Cao, Du, Chen, Cong, G.-W. Hu, Peng et Wang, 2026. 

Abstract
Impatiens zayuensis (Balsaminaceae), from Cibagou National Nature Reserve in southeastern Xizang, China, is described. Based on molecular evidence, I. zayuensis is assigned to I. sect. Racemosae. Morphologically, it is close to I. margaritifera and I. casseabriae in having spurless flowers, but differs in upper stem with glands, ovate lateral sepals, dentate margin of lateral sepals, sub-dolabriform or oblong lower petal, and oblique mouth of lower sepal. Phylogenetically, the new species does not cluster with the other two similar spurless species, indicating that the spurless character may have evolved several times within the I. sect. Racemosae.

Impatiens, New Species, Taxonomy, Phylogeny, Xizang, Eudicots

 Impatiens zayuensis.
 A. habitat; B. inflorescence; C-D. front view of flower; E-F. lateral view of flower; G. dissected flower (a. dorsal petal; b. lateral sepals; c. lateral united petals; d. lower sepal; e. stamens and pedicel); H. capsule and fruit stalk. I. seeds; J. leaves; K. root (Image by YUAN Taohua)

Morphological comparison of Impatiens zayuensis (A1-I1) and I. margaritifera (A2-I2).
A. inflorescences; B. the upper part of the stems (showing glands); C. leaves (showing glands at the base of the leaf blade); D. front view of flowers; E. lateral view of flowers; F. lateral sepals; G. dorsal petals; H. lateral united petals; I. lower sepals
 (1-I1 photographed by YUAN Taohua; B2-E2 by HUANG Wen; F2-I2 by PENG Shuai)

Impatiens zayuensis S.Peng, G.W.Hu & Q.F.Wang


TAO-HUA YUAN, TIAN HU, BEI ZHANG, MING CAO, ZHI DU, XIANG-YUN CHEN, YI-YAN CONG, GUANG-WAN HU, SHUAI PENG and QING-FENG WANG. 2026. A New Species of Impatiens (Balsaminaceae) from southeastern Xizang, China.  Phytotaxa. 751(2); 163-175. DOI: doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.751.2.7 [2026-04-15]